Hi and welcome to Roll to Disbelieve’s August Super Special! Just in case the back-to-school, end-of-summer doldrums are leaving you at loose ends, here are some past posts that can help keep you occupied.
The Christian Movie Mega-Reviews!
What’s summer without movies? For these, we paired Christian movies and booze to see what happens. (We did A Thief in the Night in the last special. This time, we present the other ones!)
- He’s in Love With a Church Girl. The first one. Well, we reviewed the trailer. Turns out that’s all we needed.
- The Great Left Behind-a-Palooza (the Nic Cage one). I’m still amazed at just how much nothing actually happens in this movie.
- Fireproof. Kirk Cameron plays an atheist-according-to-evangelicals. His marriage suffers till he learns to Jesus properly.
- God’s Club. Aww, everyone’s so mean to them for jus’ bein’ KRISchin! How many times does the star squint? Find out here.
- Christian Mingle. An extended infomercial of a movie that makes Christians look absolutely awful.
- Dark Dungeons. I LOVED THIS.
- It Takes a Church. You’ll never wonder again why evangelicals have trouble finding mates.
- A Matter of Faith. Oh, Harry, no! Baby, what is you doin’? How’d they get you into this? A flamethrower aimed at your dog?
- I’m Not Ashamed. A sickening and exploitive mess that really damned well should be ashamed.
- Second Glance. Amazing. Simply amazing.
- Let There Be Light. Wait, did evangelicals think we needed a reminder about how much they hate us?
- Facing the Giants (and Part 2). A football movie that demonstrates that Christians do everything poorly.
- God’s Not Dead. Hoo boy, this was so bad that I spent about two weeks ripping it apart after this review (see the tag).
We’re about overdue for another review, wouldn’t you say?
Seriously, Apologetics Is Awful.
Apologetics exists to keep Christians in the fold (and apologists well-fed). It doesn’t–and can’t really–persuade anybody who can catch the dishonest sleight-of-hand apologists routinely use. If someone feels real doubts, then apologetics won’t be it, chief. Apologetics backfires then–as it should! And I’ve written a lot skewering this Christian cottage industry.
- Evidence. A basic primer.
- Ala-Kalam! How the Kalam Cosmological Argument fails.
- Atrocity Apologetics. It still creeps me out that so many Christians do this.
- I’ve Got 65 Problems, but Apologetics Ain’t One. A Christian apologist comes up with a listicle of apologetics stuff that parents apparently need to learn (from her).
- The Four Facts of the Resurrection (Aren’t). I examine a common apologetics claim from the previous listicle.
- Circular Arguments. A common apologetics tactic.
- Expertise, Apologetics, and David Marshall. Trufax: If people say his name three times in the mirror, he appears behind them. But they still don’t GAFF.
- “The Gospel Does Not Need Trickery.” Are they sure of that?
- Naturalism: Not Gross, Not Crass, And Not Negotiable. Just cuz.
- Stages of Grief at the End of Apologetics. A Christian dissents. “Christian love” ensues.
- Why Apologetics Fails At Its Stated Goals. (Also this.)
The Handbook for the Recently Deconverted: Apologetics.
I loved writing these. (See the whole handbook here.)
- The First Fundamental Mistake Apologists Make.
- Aaand the Second Big Mistake Apologists Make.
- An Overview of the Apologetics Field and Its Hopeful End.
- Pascal, Ontological, Cosmological. The classics.
- Science- and History-Based Apologetics. Newer upstarts (mostly).
- Wishful Thinking in Apologetics. Kinda sad, really.
- Recognizing an “Argument from X” Attempt. Incredibly common.
- The Argument from X, and How It Fails. More info.
Enjoy the end of summer, however you spend it! See you next time, when we dive into the two ways Christians use their false promise of Christian peace! <3
Please Support What I Do!
Come join us on Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, and our forum at rolltodisbelieve.com! (Also Instagram, where I mostly post cat pictures.)
If you like what you see, I gratefully welcome your support. Please consider becoming one of my monthly patrons via Patreon with Roll to Disbelieve for as little as $1/month! My PayPal is email@example.com (that’s an underscore in there) for one-time tips. You can also support this blog through my Amazon Affiliate link–and, of course, by liking and sharing my posts on social media! Thank you for anything you wish to do. <3
PS: Most of the movie reviews spawned related posts discussing them in more detail and with more context. Check the tag list at the bottom of each post. If the movie name’s there, then if you click that tag you’ll be taken to a page containing all the related posts.
This post is an Off-Topic Wonderland! 🙂 Favorite school memory?