Hi and welcome to our first Super Special! Here, you’ll find a selection of themed Roll to Disbelieve posts relating to Halloween. Need some extra reading material? Stuck waiting at home for the trick-or-treaters to ring the doorbell? Or are you hiding from them in the semidarkness? (Bother long ago fled under the bed at all the comings and goings already starting up here.) Want to get acquainted with some of the blog’s older hits? Here’s your post!
- The Husband Hunt: An Evangelical Horror Story. A gothic tale of mounting horrors that add up to marital catastrophe for Christians.
- Halloween: It’s That Time Again. Why fundagelicals feel such terror around imaginary threats. Also, why I left a forum in the late 1990s. Also also, our first look at Glenn Hobbs, totally an ex-Satanist.
- Why Evangelicals Love Halloween. Evangelicals enjoy a weird love-hate relationship with Halloween. Plus, info about the lurid threats Christians routinely deploy.
- “Low Christianity” and Halloween. Here, I explore the difference between the rowdy ends of Christianity and the more staid flavors of the religion. (See also: “High and Low” and “High and Low: Perspective is (Almost) Everything.”)
- Exorcists! How these hucksters operate–and why.
- My Boyfriend Gets Exorcised. In retrospect, I’m just amazed it took Biff as long as it did for him to notice fundagelicalism and comprehend the benefits it held for him.
- The Night My House Was Exorcised, Sort Of. Now saved, my then-boyfriend Biff decides that my family home needs his supernatural help. It took my younger sister 30 years to fully forgive me for this night.
- SEX DEMONS. Everything you ever wanted to know about them (and weren’t afraid to ask).
- Mark Driscoll’s Big Priorities, and Also Demons. An outline of the helplessness that comes with belief in demons.
- Demons, Demons Everywhere. Mark Driscoll’s surprisingly-detailed ideas about how demons operate.
- What Passes for “Big Game” These Days. How fundagelicals use demons to excuse the wrongdoing of their leaders.
The Satanic Panic!
Oh man, the Satanic Panic! If you’ve read this blog for long, you know how much of an impact it had on me as a teen and young adult. In this section, you can find a bunch of posts about that turbulent episode in Christians’ past. (Unfortunately, though, some Christians still think it’s real! Oof!)
- Satanic Panic: By Far the Most Excruciating Talk My Mom Ever Gave Me. At the height of the Satanic Panic, my mom sat me down to watch a horrible movie and have a cringeworthy discussion.
- The Cult of Before Stories: A Mega-Review of Zachary King’s Testimony. Just in case you thought that Catholics were the sensible ones in the Christian family, here’s Zachary King to prove you dead wrong. Seriously, I still can’t believe that Catholics take him seriously.
- The Cult of Before Stories Welcomes Benedict Atkins! Poor guy, he was born way too late to cash in on the Satanic Panic. But bless his little heart, he’s trying.
- The Cult of Before Stories: Glenn Hobbs, Totally an Ex-Satanist. Above, I mentioned this nutter as part of a larger post. Here, we focus entirely on the made-up testimony of a Liar for Jesus. And then, because I’m a full-service mocker of liars-for-Jesus, we look in on where he is today.
- The Cult of Before Stories: From Witchcraft to Christ. Here, we check out the story of Doreen Irvine. She totally struck a bargain with Satan for real live magic powers! WOW!
- Can Christians Restart the Satanic Panic? Cuz they’re sure hoping so.
- Mike Warnke: The Cult of Before Stories. He was one of the biggest names in the Satanic Panic–and one of its biggest liars, too. Here, we look at why Christians bought his story lock, stock, and barrel.
Have a great Halloween!
Please Support What I Do!
Come join us on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and our forum at rolltodisbelieve.com!
If you like what you see, I would love to have your support. My PayPal is email@example.com (that’s an underscore in there) for one-time tips. I also welcome monthly patrons via Patreon with Roll to Disbelieve. Any and every bit of help is greatly appreciated and extremely helpful!
Consider this post an Off-Topic Wonderland 🙂 What’s your favorite kind of candy or treat? Perfect red strawberries? Candy corn? Anything as long as it’s got chocolate in it?