Pale Blue Dot Studio
Position: News Writer
Location/Work Schedule: Full-time, Remote with flexible schedule, Monday through Friday
Salary Range: Competitive, depending on experience
About the Role
An online media company serving the US nonreligious community seeks an enthusiastic news writer to track developments in areas of interest to our audience (including but not limited to politics, science, climate change, reproductive rights, voting rights, racial and gender equity, and the growth of the religiously unaffiliated in the US) and to write a continuous stream of crackling, intelligent, compelling news stories for our site.
On a typical day, you might turn half a dozen breaking news items into accurate, engaging stories tailored to our unique readership while chipping away at more in-depth pieces full of quotes you obtained from primary sources, even as you continue to monitor the landscape for developing stories in our wheelhouse. You will do all this in collaboration with a dynamic creative team from the comfort of your home office.
Our company is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as practiced values in the workplace. We promote diversity of thought, culture and background and consider it critical to our mission to employ a staff that is representative of the diverse community we seek to serve.
- Work with chief content officer (CCO) to define and track key topic areas
- Write and publish an average of 5-6 content pieces per weekday including dynamic headlines, deks, and ledes
- Reach out to primary sources for comment as appropriate
- Build and maintain a list of expert contacts in our key subject areas for commentary
- Select and optimize article images
- Provide research support for our creative team
- Proven work experience as a news writer
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Experience with WordPress
- Familiarity with SEO
- Demonstrated experience working with or within underserved populations
- Permanently authorized to work in the US
- Proficiency in English
- Well organized, attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Frankly delightful to work with
Our content is written by and for the nonreligious community and sometimes includes religious critique. We also amplify the voices of marginalized communities and embrace inclusion as a key principle of our work. If you are comfortable with and supportive of those values, we encourage you to apply!
Instructions to Apply
- Submit a resume with a cover letter (optional) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In your email, please explain your interest in the position and what you would bring to the company and the team. Be prepared to share references and a portfolio of previous work examples relevant to the essential job duties, upon request.
About The Company
Pale Blue Dot Studio is a new, independent, innovative digital media company that delivers world-class journalism, storytelling, and commentary from a secular perspective. We are focused on advocating for and serving eighty four million+ religiously unaffiliated Americans across digital, podcasts, streaming, live events, video and social media. We are a mission driven private company, and our content and community platform is designed to inspire cultural and civic engagement. Our brand is scheduled to launch at the end of 2021.
The company is an equal opportunity employer that highly values team diversity. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other factors protected by applicable law.